Attaching Backing Line to the Fly Reel
Attach the end of the Backing Line to the centre of the reel using a strong simple knot.
1. Thread the free end of the Backing Line around the centre of the spool
2. Tie a simple Arbor knot around the end of the line and tighten firmly
3. Pass the free end with the knot around the main line and tie another knot
4. Pull the 2nd knot tight and slide down on to the centre of the reel, and pull tight.
Troutcatcher Tip: Attach the reel to your fly rod with the winding handle at the left hand side for a right handed person or the right for a left handed person. If you have one use a Line Winder to make life easier!
Wind the backing line firmly and neatly onto the spool with the line entering at the bottom of the reel in the rotational direction indicated.
Attaching the Backing Line and Loading Fly Line
Select the end of the fly line which is on the outside of the coil (all Snowbee fly lines have a paper tag to identify this part) and attach to the backing line by the following method.
1. Fit a Braided Leader Loop to the fly line. Insert a large pin or needle (Dubbing Needles are good!!) in to the end of the braid to loosen the weave, pack it tightly.
2. Remove the needle and insert the fly line working it inside until it reaches the end.
3. Slide retaining sleeve in to position at the end of the braid. Before getting to the very end, dab some super glue on to braid, then slide sleeve to final position..
4. Pull tight between the fly line & the Braided Leader Loop. The harder you pull the tighter the grip.
5. Thread the backing through the braided loop
6. Tie the backing with a 'Tucked Blood Knot' Troutcatcher Tip: Dab a spot of superglue on to knot.
7. Tighten to loop by gently pulling on both lines
Wind the fly line on to the spool making sure that spool that the fly line was sent rotates thus ensuring that the turns do not come off the side of the coil which would cause twisting of the fly line.Troutcatcher Tip: If you have a line winder then use this to make life easier.
Fitting Braided Leader Loop to Fly Line
1. Fit a braided leader loop to the Fly Line. Insert a large pin or needle (dubbing Needles are good!!) in to the end of the braid to loosen the weave, pack it tightly.
2. Remove the needle and insert the Fly Line working it inside until it reaches the end.
3. Slide retaining sleeve in to position at the end of the braid. Before getting to the very end, dab some super glue on to braid, then slide sleeve to final position.
4. Pull tight between the Fly Line & the loop. The harder you pull the tighter the grip.
Attaching Fly Line to the Fly Leader
1. Cut of desired length of Leader (ignore if using pre-prepared Tapered Leader)
2. Fold approximately 10cm of the line back on itself to form a tight loop.
3. Tie a simple knot at the loop end to leave a loop approximately 2cm and pull tight. Clip of all loose ends. (If using a pre-prepared tapered Leader, there may already be a loop - if not, make sure you put the loop on the thickest end)
4. Pass the loop of the braided leader loop through the loop in the line.
5. Thread the free end of the line through the hole in the leader loop and pull tight.
Attaching the Fly to the Fly Leader
1. Pass the free end of nylon through the eye of the Fly hook.
2. Wrap free end over line to form four coils.
3. Pass free end through loop formed at eye
4. Tuck it back through loop formed after making coil
5. Pull firmly on free end to ease coil down on to the line so that they slip back tight against the Fly eye.
Troutcaher Tip : If using droppers (Multi Fly set up) Please watch the above video to help set this up.